Monday, 1 February 2016

Who is Lahari Mahalanabish?


I am female, brown and married. I come from the country which has an ocean named after it, and from the city in that country where the scientist on whom the second part of Higgs boson particle is named, studied and researched.
           
Since childhood, I had been interested in painting, creative writing, paper crafts and music. However, I chose to be a software engineer. Why did I select this profession? Well, I loved Mathematics and wanted to become an engineer as I felt it would give me the scope to solve a lot of Mathematical problems. Out of all the different branches of engineering, I chose software because my parents felt it was the best engineering stream for a girl and for a change I obeyed them without questioning. To my utter dismay, I discovered that my job did not involve much Mathematics but required other forms of logical, problem solving skills. Initially, I was terrified of all these programming languages which seemed like coded instructions for creating weapons of mass destruction! With time, I came to understand and appreciate how these few English words and symbols could be arranged, like bricks of a castle into computer programs that would do a lot of amazing things, like transferring trillions of data records through a catacomb of virtual channels.

Coming back to my other interests, I always wanted to write and become a professional writer someday if luck clicked. My first book of poems came out in 2008, soon after I had passed out of my university. Then my job and the time it took to commute to my workplace consumed most of my energies. On top of that I was too busy going on romantic dates (in my mind). Finally my marriage in 2013 cured me of such proclivities and I sat down to write my second book, although now I have a baby to care for as well. 

Although I am a writer, I will not confine this blog only to literature but I will discuss anything that captures my imagination, stirs my soul, churns my thoughts, burns me with anguish, tickles me enough to erupt into a fountain of uproarious laughter or plunges me into bottomless sorrow where I am neither able to float nor sink, but just remain brooding. Too heavy? To put a smile on your face, I may even share cooking recipes (although if I know how to rustle up something, it’s likely that everyone else on this planet knows it as well and had learnt it much before I had considered trying it out).

Here are the links to my short stories/poems that had appeared in literary journals:-

           https://thebombayreview.com/towards-the-gates-lahari-mahalanabish/

            http://epaper.thestatesman.com/1364186/8th-Day/24th-September-2017#dual/2/1










Disclaimer: Not all stories about pretty, young women are based on me.


No comments:

Post a Comment